Making Preset objects in Level Edit

Pwn Call

Making Preset Objects in Level Edit

By: Pwn Call     (aka ESCALADE)

--------------------------------------------------------
Intro

First I would like to thank Halo38 for making some great objects that work perfectly for this tutorial, you can find his pedestals, teleporters, and other cool objects in the downloads section which all work really well for this tutorial.

This is so you can make objects, like teleporters, bunkers, or almost any stationary object in Level Edit without having to make it or move it around in RenX some things are just easier to use in Level Edit.

--------------------------------------------------------

Alright so first you need to start out with your object in RenX.  Here I have Halo38's pedestal pack.

1.png

Now we don't want all three together for this so delete two of them, whichever one you want to export you can leave.

2.png

Now go to the Top view and make sure that it is centered in RenX, that is going through the solid black lines on the grid.

3.png

Also make sure that it has the correct W3D options set so your player doesn't walk through your object (unless that is what you want of course)

4.png

Now go to File> Export

5.png

Now you need to export it into your level package in Level Edit.  I have a folder in Level Edit for all of my AOW maps, then I created another folder to put all of my preset files in, which I recommend that you make, it just keeps things neater.  Either way remember where you export it to and make sure it is in your Level Edit folder somewhere.  Also name it a unique name that you will remember and also don't forget to select .W3D as the export setting, then hit save.

6.png

Then the Westwood Export window will pop up make sure you change it to Renegade Terrain then hit OK,  it will take a few seconds to export.  Now you are all done for the RenX part of it.

Now open up Level Edit and select your package where you put it.  You don't have to load up a map but I did so you can see what it looks like. 
Now go to the presets menu on the right and highlight Tiles and hit "TEMP"

8.png

The window below will pop up, for the name enter the exact name that you exported it as in the Name field.

9.png

Then click on the Physics Model tab and by Physics type hit the arrow and choose StaticPhys

10.png

Over by model name hit the folder icon and then find where you put your .W3D file, mine is in the presets folder so I will open that.

11.png

Once I'm in where my files are located I will find the exported file and then hit open.

12.png

Then it comes back to the original window and just click ok

13.png

Now it will create a new preset under the Tiles section with that name of your file,  Click on it then hit Make and your object should appear!!!!

14.png

Now you can move your object wherever you want in Level edit as well as rotate it!!  You can make as many as you want as well and you can use them for all of your maps.  Look in this next picture you can see that the lightpost is selectable, thats because I have created a preset for that as well.  You can do this for all of your commonly used objects and it can save some time.

Also you can do this with bunkers, the bunker in the lower left was also a preset.

15.png

IMPORTANT!!

One last thing to remember before you are finished.  When you export your map make sure you include the .W3D file as well as the textures for that model in your .mix or else they won't show up when you play your level!!!

• 2 months later...

For some objects that don't have collision settings, like tiberium cystals or some other objects, sometimes they aren't selectable if you make them a tile.  If it won't let you select and move an item once you make it try temping it under the Objects folder instead, something like Daves arrow is good for those items and it should be selectable.