How do i run CnC the first decade on Windows7 64 bit Home??

Slammer59

Question

Hello Renegade fans, guys and dolls, i going to get a problem with upgrading my pc:

In de next coming days i hope to upgrade my pc with a hardware dualboot XP/Win7

How do i run CnC the first decade on Windows7 64 bit Home??

i googled a little and found this, but looks very complicated,especialy because i dont have Windows 7 64 bit home yet.

this is what i found:

http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/index.php/topic/20082-common-problems-updated-07052013/

So i wonder how are the installation steps to get Renegade running for the AOW server?

Thank you very much for the Help ;)

17 answers to this question

I just installed from disk and it worked without any problems - since you're installing from TFD you can install 4.1 straight away.

Also, I would recommend running XP in on a virtual PC rather than dual-booting 7 and XP - you can skip the time taken to shutdown/startup and just launch the virtualisation software (VirtualBox works fine for me). If you plan to run games on XP then ignore this however, as they sometimes require direct hardware access which virtualisation doesn't allow.

I just installed from disk and it worked without any problems - since you're installing from TFD you can install 4.1 straight away.

Also, I would recommend running XP in on a virtual PC rather than dual-booting 7 and XP - you can skip the time taken to shutdown/startup and just launch the virtualisation software (VirtualBox works fine for me). If you plan to run games on XP then ignore this however, as they sometimes require direct hardware access which virtualisation doesn't allow.

Do you run windows 7 64 bit Profesional with the XP simulation?

Should i buy windows 7 64 Profesional instead of HOME?

I run 7 x64 Pro because it was the best deal I could find (student discounts, etc). I have no idea what the actual differences are between the different builds, but I found this which might help you. As far as I can tell, if you're not planning to have more than 16GB RAM then Home Premium will be fine.

I do have XP mode (the Microsoft thing) installed, but normally I run XP (with my product code) using VirtualBox.

You will need a USB cord to connect between your computer and the SSD drive.

If the drive doesn't come with the software, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website.

The software will let you clone your drive to the SSD.

Then you just replace your original drive with the SSD.

Took me about 1 hour.

You can also just replace your hard drive with the SSD and just reinstall from scratch.

This will take a very long time, and then you have to do all the updates, etc.

Took me about 2 days.

You will need a USB cord to connect between your computer and the SSD drive.

If the drive doesn't come with the software, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website.

The software will let you clone your drive to the SSD.

Then you just replace your original drive with the SSD.

Took me about 1 hour.

You can also just replace your hard drive with the SSD and just reinstall from scratch.

This will take a very long time, and then you have to do all the updates, etc.

Took me about 2 days.

iam going to buy tomorrow the SSD, its the Samsung 840 EVO Desktopkit 250 GB and iam going to conect it with the sata cabel ofcourse and ill disconect the sata of my XP hdd and then install Windows 7 on the ssd, i hope ill mange to get all working :rolleyes:

This sounds so unnecessarily complicated. Just run as an admin. If necessary, set it to compatibility mode for Windows XP. I'm pretty sure it installed without a hitch for me on Windows 7 as well as Windows 8. Windows is pretty good at figuring out how to make things work that were built for older versions of itself.

On win 7 it should be a simple install and done. I have win 7 64 ultimate and didn't have to do anything. Home could be different. If you have any problem at all, a simple compatibility with win X should do the trick then.

On win 7 it should be a simple install and done. I have win 7 64 ultimate and didn't have to do anything. Home could be different. If you have any problem at all, a simple compatibility with win X should do the trick then.

I've installed it on Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 8.1. Ultimate has more features but it doesn't alter the basic functionality of the OS, so it doesn't matter which version it is. So long as you don't try to install it on something older than the game is built for or something so much newer it lacks the code the game was built around you shouldn't have to do anything special. Especially with TFD which was rebuilt for newer OS's.

Unless your name is TehVib it should work fine :D

Vib is tech n00b. He doesn't really fit in this discussion, but Windows definitely doesn't like him.

oke guys, thanks for the hints and tips :)

I got win7-64 runing on my SSD finaly, i had to do much tricks to get my email,adresbook,bookmarks and passwords from XP to Win7, and its all working, including my old printer (Epson1290S), iam happy now :iceylove:

Oke guys (and dolls), so can i just install the first decade with administrator? iam going to have a try,i will see if it will work or not, i hope it will work :huh:

oke guys, thanks for the hints and tips :)

I got win7-64 runing on my SSD finaly, i had to do much tricks to get my email,adresbook,bookmarks and passwords from XP to Win7, and its all working, including my old printer (Epson1290S), iam happy now :iceylove:

Oke guys (and dolls), so can i just install the first decade with administrator? iam going to have a try,i will see if it will work or not, i hope it will work :huh:

Should install just fine. So long as it's run as admin you should be able to play in no time.

You don't even need to run as admin unless there's an update to install, and it automatically prompts you for that anyway.

Your right, i didnt run it as administrator.

I just installed Renegade and tibirian sun on my second harddisk and everything went fine, no errors.

Then in installed scriptpack 4.1 and uoaw mappack and i use renlist and to my surprise everything runs fine, altough the Windows 7 upgrade advisor said TFD would not be compatible :huh: