Problems installing and getting into the in-game menu

Eagle5

Question

So I downloaded the game when it came open beta on the 26th of February, 2014. I tried to put it on the laptop first (which uses windows 7), but it would come up with the problem "you have to many 16-bit  files in use, close one or more files or change the file value in config.sys" (paraphrasing, but I think that is right) My questions concerning this are: 1. how do I close 16-bit files and/or programs? 2. If I can't do that, where is config.sys? I search the computer and I can pull up the "System Configuration" window, but it says nothing about file values.

So I quit trying to figure it out on the laptop, and I copied and moved the "RenegadeX-OpenBeta.exe" to the only desktop I have, and it is a Windows XP operating system. So I click the .exe for the open beta, and it comes up with the installation and I get it all installed. (Why did it work on XP and not Win7?) After installation it gives me the choice to open the game and/or create a desktop icon. I click both. So it puts me in the launcher window with the apache and the light tank; tells me to input a name, and gives me a list of option: Watch tutorial, connect directly to server, launch in-game menu, browse forums, and I think there was one more but I can't remember. Well my Desktop is not connected to the internet, so I figured I would not be able to join a server. So I click on the "launch in game menu" and that's where I get stuck. It does not bring up the game. So my questions concerning that are: 1. why does the in-game menu not come up? Does it have to be connected to the internet for in-game menu, or to play in general? 2. Do I have to install UDK, or UT3, some other program first?

I assumed it may have been the internet connection problem, so I copied all of the installed files on the desktop (XP), and moved all of them to the laptop (Win7). put those files in program files as a RenegadeX folder, and then clicked on the launcher. Well this bypassed the 16-bit file issue and the launcher came up on the laptop. This time I had Internet Connection and I could see the servers and the leaderboards, I could even get the link to show me the tutorial on youtube working, but I had the same problem, the in-game menu would not work. I would try to connect directly to a server, and that wouldn't work either. So my questions here are: 1. Again, do I have to download UDK, or UT3, or some other program first? 2. Does it not work because the 16-bit file problem still exists, just bypassed? and if so, how do I solve that problem? 3. can I somehow play the game without the internet?

I have been looking forward to this since I heard about it after "Command & Conquer" was killed. I would be fine with just playing against BOTS, that is fine with me. I am just a huge C&C fan, I'll play it either way. Please help with this problem.

5 answers to this question

I did do that, all I came up with is "System Configuration" and as I said, it has nothing to do with 16-bit files, or file value in general. Thanks for the help though. maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Okay for the laptop (windows7) the specs are (the important ones):

System:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite L635

BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 1.80

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU    P4600  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), 2.0GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 2414MB used, 1407MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display:

Device

Name: Intel® DH Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Intel® HD Graphics (Celeron)

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 763 MB

Current Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Display Drivers:

Main Drivers: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd>

Version: 8.15.10.2154

Date: 6/22/2010 1:13:32 PM

WHQL Logo'd: N/A

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

DirectX Features:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available

Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

(note that I have tried to enable 2 of those, and I just can't, if anyone can help with that, cool)

Thats those, I will leave out the XP desktop for now, if we need it later I will put it then. I ommited the sound as well, I have never had problems with the sound and there isn't a lot of information in that tab.

That system barely makes the requirements.. the onboard graphics won't help you much either if you can play the experience wont be very enjoyable