New Gaming Rig Suggestions?

Graxion

Question

Ok, so I've been running a sort of low-grade general-use PC for a while now, I'm not sure what the specs are and I don't even want to know. So I'm looking at getting a new gaming rig that will last for a while. I'm too lazy to build it myself, so I'm looking at getting Alienware's cheapest desktop, the X51. I'd like any suggestions I can get to make sure I'm not getting less than I would need or overkill. Here are the current parts I have selected, including those I have no choice over, and other options:

Processor

Current Selection: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-4130 Processor (3MB Cache, 3.40 GHz)

Other Options: None

Operating System

Current Selection: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

Other Options: Windows 8, 64-Bit, English

Memory

Current Selection: 6GB (1x2GB+1x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mh Non-ECC

Other Options: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz

Hard Drive

Current Selection: 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 64MB Cache

Video Card

Current Selection: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645 with 1GB GDDR5

Optical Drive

Current Selection: Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)

Try to keep suggestions within my available choices, but if my choices are all way off tell me. Also tell me if there's anything I'm missing.

14 answers to this question

I'm going to sum it up for in one sentance. You pay for what you get.

A good gaming rig will be between 1000, and 1500. It shouldn't be any less. Afterall, gaming takes a toll on PC's, and thus they require very good parts. I always spend around the 1500 dollar range (not sure of the currency conversion rates), but because I spend that much at once, I get on average 6 years of life from my PC's. Compare that to spending less money, but having to buy a new PC every year, or every other year, or constantly upgrading parts because they fail. You'll get higher quality parts and a longer life from your PC, if you spend a little bit more on it now. You also avoid all the hassles of your replacing your rig, or parts. I've been there. It sucks!

That being said, you'll find plenty of help here and suggestings for building machines.

As it stands this rig costs just under 1k, but I may upgrade to the 8GB memory, if it's worth it.

If only I was rich or something, I could get my dream setup for 5k

EDIT: Took a quick look: only $50 for another 2GB memory? WORTH IT!

As it stands this rig costs just under 1k, but I may upgrade to the 8GB memory, if it's worth it.

If only I was rich or something, I could get my dream setup for 5k

EDIT: Took a quick look: only $50 for another 2GB memory? WORTH IT!

Don't rush building this. I say that because sites like newegg.com always offer sales, and you may find RAM or something else, cheaper tomorrow, or next week.

5k on a pc would be overkill. I bought 12 GB of RAM a little over a year ago. I spent maybe, 70$? Just research and watch prices.

That's why I'm going cheap now. I don't expect to hang on to it for more than a year or two, I just need something decent for RenX, and I've wanted to try PlanetSide 2 for a while now, but my graphics card doesn't cut it.

You've made a good selection imo, I'd always go with Intel over AMD anyday as I know from past experiance that AMD's have overheating issues.

I'd also go with nvidia rather than ATI, they last longer, you get more for your money and I've never had a issue with them.

ATI on the other hand..I've constantly had issues with, they never last more than 12months despite the price range, the fans are built poorly on them too.

Research shows that I3's actually handle gaming better than most quad cores but there's always exceptions ofc depending on what you buy. 

Whatever graphics card you buy, make sure you have a powerful power supply whatever you use. It always pays to get the best possible power supply, usually I go with a power supply that handles at least 2x of the graphics cards I buy, that way I know that there'll never be any power issues. Make sure you get a case with lots of fans, cooling is key plus make sure you don't place your desktop in a confined space, I always like to either make sure there's ample space on both sides of my tower, or if it's one of those ones you can place flat then add something either side so that there's plenty of space underneath, that'll help with air flow.

Definitely build it yourself, it'll be far cheaper to buy all the parts and build it yourself, yes it takes more time and a lot of research to make sure that parts are compatible but in the long run it pays off as your pc will last longer, because you know the parts you've used are of a reasonable quality.

Just a few tips, I've picked up on these over the years.

Good luck. :)

Edit: I had a little look on ebay for a few options, feel free to have a look mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-Quad-Core-4-0Ghz-16GB-1TB-Desktop-Gaming-PC-Computer-AMD-/200947550434?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2ec96848e2 - I took the liberaty to working out the conversion rate: £339 = $535 dollars

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I3-4130-Dual-Core-Gaming-Pc-Computer-SSD-16Gb-Nvidia-GTX-660-2GB-Van-B-/141079628547?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20d9004b03 £563 - $905

There's some pre-built ones they look pretty good, but I still think you can do better by building them yourself.

Most of these sites have pretty high minimum prices. The X51 I've put together looks good, that first link Sean put up is a cheaper alternative, though I'll have to compare the key aspects to see which one is a better value, and I'm looking into an iBuyPower Revolt A450 as a tertiary option. I've decided to put a price range on myself of about $1000 and below, that's already twice the cost of my current computer, which is made for all around stuff, not gaming. And before anyone says "Oh get the expensive ones they'll last longer!" I KNOW. As stated above I only intend to use this for a few years, but I need something that can run RenX with better graphics and is capable of running PlanetSide2, which I've wanted to try for a while. I think my current computer is running an ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. Lame, I know.

A little overkill I think GenOBrien, at least for me. Fortunately Booty showed me where I can get a decent customizable iBuyPower gaming pc for cheap via Wal-Mart special.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/15374646

So what its overkill. that means u wont be changing any parts for atleast 6 years. its also more bang for ur buck

for the love of god dont not order from wal-mart. There parts maybe broke wrong one and the list goes on. order form  a reputably buyer like there website.

A little overkill I think GenOBrien, at least for me. Fortunately Booty showed me where I can get a decent customizable iBuyPower gaming pc for cheap via Wal-Mart special.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/15374646

Perhaps it is a bit overkill, but think about it. It's still within your budget and it'll last longer and you'll be able to play new games when they come out without having to worry about upgrading mate. :)

Stay away from walmart...

I think you misunderstand how the special works. Booty used it herself and explained it to me. Once you select your combo, they send you to iBuyPower's website to finish it. You just get a discount if you reach them through Wal-Mart. I can get a PC anywhere from $500 to around $3500 when I max it out, and it's much cheaper, so I could be getting a $750-$1000 PC for $500.

EDIT: ...although Newegg.com does have some nice deals...

I think you misunderstand how the special works. Booty used it herself and explained it to me. Once you select your combo, they send you to iBuyPower's website to finish it. You just get a discount if you reach them through Wal-Mart. I can get a PC anywhere from $500 to around $3500 when I max it out, and it's much cheaper, so I could be getting a $750-$1000 PC for $500.

EDIT: ...although Newegg.com does have some nice deals...

Ah okay, thought you was buying from the direct lol. :P

Make sure you check around and consider all your options before making any decisions mate. :)

Looking around, I decided that my current PC actually isn't bad in terms of processor or motherboard, but the graphics card needs upgrades. The PC was built well and it's not very old, but it wan't built for gaming, so the graphics card was low grade, and worse, it's INTEGRATED. Fortunately I have a PCI Express x16 slot open according to the PC specs, so I'm thinking of installing a VisionTek 900614 Radeon HD 7750 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 6x mini DP Video Card (Eyefinity 6), and a new power supply, the SeaSonic S12II S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply I THINK these two will work together to give me a nice new graphics card and enough power to run it, but I'd like some other peoples input before I buy anything.