Grand Prize Contest: Renegade NewMaps - March 2014

zunnie

MPF_Grand_Prize_Contest.png

201303_the_prize_ultimatecollection.png

In the month March 2014 we will be battling for the EA's Ultimate Collection.

You must be ranked 1st on our Renegade NewMaps 4.0 server.

Also you must be a member of our forums.

To receive your copy you must have an Origin Account @ http://store.origin.com

originlogo.png

Why does the best prize come while I'm out of commission? :yucky: JK, I'd never get close anyways. I prioritize teamplay and fun above points far too much to get anywhere close to #2 (Because we all know who's gonna get #1).  :P

Should make it most building kills.  Now THAT would enhance gameplay!

no that'd just encourage stupid killstealing behaviours.. like a bunch of engies in an apc rush go into a building and wait for each other to blow their remotes. >_>.

or a bunch of sbh go nuke buildings at the closest spot so they can nuke before the others rather than getting into good hard-to-find positions.

or a bunch of tanks shooting a building and then waiting at 2 bars for someone else to hit it into 1 bar before killing it themselves.

besides, we all know who'd get that too >_> <_<. there's someone on this server who kills so many buildings i'm starting to think he must have some sort of walk through walls hax lol.

no that'd just encourage stupid killstealing behaviours.. like a bunch of engies in an apc rush go into a building and wait for each other to blow their remotes. >_>.

or a bunch of sbh go nuke buildings at the closest spot so they can nuke before the others rather than getting into good hard-to-find positions.

or a bunch of tanks shooting a building and then waiting at 2 bars for someone else to hit it into 1 bar before killing it themselves.

besides, we all know who'd get that too >_> <_<. there's someone on this server who kills so many buildings i'm starting to think he must have some sort of walk through walls hax lol.

No problem with me, it would still focus more players on actually attacking buildings. Much more interesting than a handful of players just trying to get the most points and the rest sniping uselessly  :o

the problem is mainly one of teamhampering.. The goals should NEVER encourage you to hurt your allies.. and the problem with awards based on kills is precisely that.. it makes you HATE your allies, because they will be constantly stealing your kills.. effectively its better for you to screw over your allies often so you can get the kills for yourself.

e.g. engie blocks another engie from throwing remote on the mct.

tank blocks another tank

tank pushes other tank into enemy fire.

and those are just the easy ones. With building kills its even worse.. you can even TELL the opponents where your allies are sneaking into.. or where the beacon is.. so that the enemies can save the building and give u a  chance to kill it later. Even if pms are monitored, there's other ways to communicate. You can even just shoot the building they are sneaking into so that the enemies run there and screw over your ally.

it'd be the same for sniper kills too really.. tell the enemy team where your allies are located so they get killed and you get to snipe freely without competition. 

Admittedly, score also has many of these problems, but its to a much lesser extent since almost all score comes from building damage, which isn't really affected by other allies damaging the same building. So there's generally not much point in screwing over your allies unless you're going for mvp, but that's why rank is based on score instead of mvp count :P. (Sadly, there are a few bad weird maps in the rotation which award score weirdly and cause the score system to actually encourage team hampering, but these show up very rarely.)

I'd still rather have people fighting over building kills than sniping or just plain wandering around  :P

when you get team hampered to death, don't forget I so informed you thusly.

and grax that still has all the same problems of killstealing and team hampering so you can get the kills for yourself.

so please don't set it to building kills zunnie, its just gonna promote mayhem. If you want a different ranking system, I suggest making it based on victories instead. Full idea in the following post:

Good Game Points System:

At the end of every map, the system awards every player 1 Base point.

This point is multiplied by the following multipliers which discourage/encourage different bad/good behaviours:

- Time Multiplier: Multiply points by the length of the game in minutes. Discourages people from just playing quick games (where you just hit buildings and ignore each other) over and over for more points.

- Victory Multiplier: The winning team gets X2 points, losing team gets X1. Discourages people from losing on purpose. The winning team also gets the following additional multiplier:

- Building Handicap Multiplier (For the winning team only): Multiply points by the number of the winning team's building deaths+1. Discourages people from ragequitting/giving up the moment they are down a building or two. Also encourages people who are losing to struggle to the bitter end because if they succeed, they can get massive points for their epic comeback victory!

Example: 10 minute game, a team one-sidedly slaughters the other, winning with all buildings intact. People on the losing team get 10 points. People on the winning team get 10 * 2 * 1 = 20 points.

Example 2: 50 minute game, a team makes an epic comeback, winning with only 1 out of 4 buildings left. People on the losing team get 50 points. People on the winning team get 50 * 2 * (3+1) = 400 points.

At first glance, this might encourage the winning team to do some silly things like drag out the time or even let some of their buildings die for more points, but this comes with the risk of allowing the losing team an epic comeback and causing the silly team to lose their victory multipliers. So ultimately it serves as a sort of self-balancing system, where each team tries to take the maximum handicap it can while still barely winning in the end, which should be more fun :D.