Windows 7 registry and fixes question

Pwn Call

Question

So I downloaded the windows 7 registry and fixes file from your site to fix level edit.  I ran and merged the correct .reg file into my Renegade Public tools folder and it created all new sets for everything that was originally in the renegade public tools folder.  Now my question is which level edit application should I use because it left all the old files in there so there is a copy of all of the old stuff, as well as all of the new stuff. 

Do i need both copies or can I delete the old stuff?  And when running Level Edit i'm assuming i'm supposed to use the new Level Edit applicaion correct?

Sorry it wasn't super clear.

9 answers to this question

Ok this is how I do it:

I create a folder inside \Levels\ called with my mapname for example TCW_Snipers

Inside this folder i place my terrain W3D's which i export from 3DSMax8, the strings_map.tdb for custom translations and the .lvl file(s) when i save the map in there as C&C_TCW_Snipers.lvl,

i also have a folder called 'includes' in there which contains ALL other files i use in the map, wav's, tga's, dds's and mp3's, i do that so i know which files should go into my mix file when the map is done.

The EditorCache folder contains ALL the textures i use on my map(s) ie all the tga's and dds's. The wav's and mp3's don't have to go there.

I make my mix's manually. Simply put: Just copy C&C_Field.mix from your Renegade Data folder to your Level folder and rename it to C&C_Mymap.mix.

Then open your C&C_Mymap.mix with XCC mixer (double click on it to open a mix) delete ALL the C&C_Field files from it so you end up with a empty file.

Next you drag and drop in ALL the files from your 'includes' into the XCC window, the .lsd .ldd and .ddb and strings_map.tdb from your level folder as well and finally the W3D's that make up your terrain. Your mix file is now ready and can be used on the game :)

If you have questions let's see them :P

here is XCC mixer: http://multiplayerforums.com/index.php?/files/file/77-xcc-mixer/

Here some ss's from my folders to give you a little insight how i arrange it all:

post-13-0-22681500-1361236616_thumb.png post-13-0-91601200-1361236624_thumb.png post-13-0-15308300-1361236638_thumb.png

Alright I think it overwrote the files but how do I know if it worked or not?

Is there anything that I can see that will let me know if it worked, or should the file be a certain size?

Thanks for all the help with these little issues.

If it didnt work then the preset list at the right, the folders, dont all have a [+] in front of them which should happen. (or at lest 95% of them)

Show a screenshots of your leveleditor and we can tell right away if its correct or not :)

It should look like this:

post-13-0-23756700-1361229178_thumb.png

The first time it didn't work but then I tried it again and it worked.

What are the differences in the Mod packages that are listed?

ALWAYS

Characters

Editor Cache

presets

ALWAYS are the files loaded fromt he always.dbs and .dat like the armor settings and warheads, you cannot modifiy these in a map, only in a mod.

Characters, im not sure...

EditorCache is where you put your tga and dds textures (in ADDITTION to your level file folder) so they show up when you load your map.

presets is where the editor stores the presets that are available ingame and your temps(custom presets for maps) note you can ONLY temp stuff when making a map

Alright thanks, I think I have just one last question for now.

Thankfully it looks like this level edit fix allows for direct .mix exports is that correct?   And for this if we make custom textures do they need to be in the level edit folder for that specific level to load when played online?

Thanks for all the help, these updated tools make this way easier than previously B)

Ah, so this is they way these maps are made, no wonder my old maps were super laggy and had missing textures and such. 

This makes so much sense, I wonder why I haven't seen a tutorial for this