Good PC for RenX

Pwn Call

Question

Looking at getting a new pc for renegade x as well as moddingg it, so for udk as well.

any suggestions?

looking to hopefully keep it under 500 usd.

15 answers to this question

UDK tools

Minimum:Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, or Windows 72.0+ GHz processor2 GB system RAMSM3-compatible video card3 GB free hard drive spaceRecommended for Content Development:Windows 7 64-bit2.0+ GHz multi-core processor8 GB System RAMNVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics cardPlenty of HDD space 

Renegade-X system requirements

System RequirementsOperating System: Windows XP/Vista/7Processor: Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz or AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 2.2 GHzMemory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista / 7Video: 256 MBSound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0Free HDD: 4.5 GB

500 USD seems a bit low.. and I have no idea what that amount of money that would even get you in the states.. Here in Canada $500 USD is about $525 CAD, You'd be able to buy something that could run Renegade-X and UDK tools at little bit above or at the recommended specs..but no OS.. 

Example of something here in Canada what around 500CAD could get you..http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47715 something like that would also require a video card upgrade.. possibly a stronger PS..

just be sure to get a dedicated video card... any Nvidia/GeForce GT+ model will be more than enough.. not sure about AMD/Radeon models - example video card sold in Canada http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX30734

I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com for some good selection..

as always i sugest a home build ...

ya will need a beefy cpu for udk (backing lights and such) sugest somthing like a intel core 15 4670k around £170 an amd 8350 is not that bad a choice but things will go much faster with a good intel

geta nvida 650ti or 660 (there abiut the same thing around £150

get a good mobo i recommend an ASUS (make sure it suports your cpu ;)) any were from £40 up

get a 600watt psu for all that unless you get a haswell intel cpu ya could go for a 400watt (get a brand name and make sure its 80 pluss certified) around £70

lots of ram 16 gb + for making suff for udk ;) £115 up

any hdd, ssd, dvd, bluray blah blah blah

any case you want

there are some good cpu mobo ram bundles out there

to save some moneys its always a good idea to butcher ya old rig for stuff hdd dvd burnner case blah blah

edit:

well £545 ($881.48) is no good for you lol but there is some good advice anyway

I guess the biggest thing i want to know would be a good choice for graphics card and processor, not too expensive but that will get the job done.

For a new good pc u gotto aim at 1000 $, anything under that price will have u wanting for a upgrade very soon. Anything over that is basically overkill, if one has the money id go for overkill, cant hurt to indulge in ones asswhupping pc desires.

It pays off to save for a solid rig,ressist the urge to settle for a medium one. ^_^

Get ATi cards since Nvidia is always more expensive then ATi. But what most people do they get Nvidia card for UDK.

PC Casing. I do see some people spend like 300 USD for a PC casing with nothing inside except for the fans...

So get a cheap and average-big space casing. Anyway why spend so much on a casing when is sitting at your house no one can see it.

Unless you decided to carry your desktop around :mellow:

Processor. Well AMD and Intel, they are both very good but Intel is better for working on software and they are much more cooler then AMD but come with a price.

Not only that, Intel Processor needs the right Motherboard depending on the Intel Processor Socket and their motherboard is not that cheap.

Unless you are going for AMD processor and AMD motherboard socket. Since AMD processor and their motherboard are much more friendly then Intel and they are also cheaper by alot.

But AMD processor can heat up quite fast and sometime hotter then Intel processor.

If this PC you are using try to savage what ever you can, like um DVD room, harddisk, and ram.

So my brother will be getting a new graphics card and will be giving me his radeon 5770,

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/ATI-RADEON-HD-5000/HD-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx#1

In order for me to get this Working I am going to be upgrading my power supply with this,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/extreme-power-plus-500w/1510585.p?id=1218265778423&skuId=1510585&st=categoryid$abcat0507009&cp=1&lp=2#tab=reviews

If I do this will I need a new processor and motherboard? I currently have the stock dell inspiron 570, which i believe has a dual core AMD processor.

Also any other thoughts or suggestions for this setup?

I think the buggest thing im worried about is my processor not being good enough, what do you all think?

This is the processor it has

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/PROCESSORS/SEMPRON/Pages/AMD-sempron-processor-for-desktop.aspx

ya will need a new cpu ... the cpu will be your bottleneck i had an ADM Athlon x2 6600+ and it making all my games run slow ... an amd hex (6) core is awesome for gaming ... if you just wont a gaming machine (not for making maps or rendering) get a apu you will get a good gaming experience ... and if you need more gpu power you can upgrade to a dedicated card later on ;) but if you go for a APU get fast ram 1866 up (depending on what the mobo can handle)

3 vids sowing 3 good cheap AMD builds

I believe my PC will run this fine. I'll give it a shot I guess. I tried playing a few years ago when you had to own UT3, and I could never get it running. I also didn't care to much at the time, but now I think it has potential. My current rig is setup for more modern gaming anyway, so I don't think I'll have any concerns. I look forward to it's release!

So i think i am getting the cheap power supply unit, a free radeon hd 5770, and I will be using all of my old dell 570 stuff. Could I just get a CPU by itself or would it be best to get a mother board cpu combo?

Ans would a different motherboard fit in my case?

get a mobo,cpu and ram bundle ... DONT get a cheap ass PSU get a 80+ certified one ... cheap ones tend to blow or damage things and use more power then needed

what i have read about the dell 570 the case is a mini so ya not going to fit much in it ... and dell like to use there own mountings so a new case might be needed

I think im going to start with the GPU and PSU upgrade since it will be cheap and see how that goes, then I will do the mobo, cpu, and case later.

Thanks for the help guys